Thursday, August 1, 2013

SO LOUD!!

Have you ever thought about how loud you are?  I know that is a weird question, but this week because of some changes in my life I have experienced LOUD in many new ways.

I am going to be honest, I have been overly aware of loud things most of my adult life and can’t take much commotion at all.  Some of my least favorite loud things are loud chewing, loud children in my car (my kids are super quiet in the car, but that is a story for another day), loud televisions, music and various other things that really aren’t loud but seem so loud to me.  I realized a few weeks ago that my brother may feel the same way about loud.   I was tapping my fingernails on his table and he about came unglued, I know it wasn't so much loud but maybe more annoying.  So, now this has me thinking back to our childhood and if we were not allowed to be loud, but I don't recall.  Anyway, I digress, so back to the current loud that I hear.  Some things in life really don’t have to be loud, like typing, eating, unwrapping a piece of candy, sitting in your chair, talking, did I say eating, sneezing, chewing gum, stapling, drawer closing, laughing and so many more that I never realized could be so loud. There can and should be a certain amount of consideration in all things, and I really don’t think I am super sensitive to noises either.  But, sometimes we should just stop for a minute, and ask ourselves, “am I being respectful to those around me”. 
Kinlee was a loud child and Sheila (day care person) even gave her a book once called Too Loud Lily.  She has gotten a little better, but after having my super quiet Jerika, Kinlee was a change of pace and couldn’t be as easily quieted.  My mom even tried to convince her several times that there was a button on her stomach that would help “turn her down” (didn’t work.)  However, she is not loud in an annoying way either and it is just her voice and not the things she does, which makes a huge difference. 

So, next time you are doing something that shouldn’t be loud be aware of others around you and realize that yes, you might be louder than you need to be.

No comments: