Friday, March 17, 2017

My 48th birthday

Am I really that old?  My birthday was really overshadowed with some sad and happy things this year. We finally got the wedding done and then we jumped into funeral stuff for my best friend Holly's mom.  She died 2 days before the wedding and it was so hard.  She was like a second mom to me and I felt so sorry for Holly and her family.  We had gone to mom's to make mints for the wedding and mom told me when we got there that she had what they though was a heart attack and she died instanly.  I had gone to church the week before at mom and dad's ward because mom was talking and I waited around a little afterward so I could tell Mama Gaye hello.  She was playing the organ at sacrament meeting and I gave her a hug.  She told me that she was excited for the weekend because Holly was coming to the reception and they were going to come together.  Needless to say it was a rough.  I had tried to call my friend Lori Hoover to tell her because she had known her as well.  She didn't answer but promptly texted me back and said, "I heard the news my mom called and told me.  I am not going to answer your call or talk to you about anything sad because this is supposed to be a happy time for you.  If you need help with anything call me but otherwise please try to be happy these next few days."  So, that is what I decided to do, I needed to make Jerika's wedding happy and not sad and I knew Mama Gaye would be angry with me if I was sad during Jerika's special time.  I did text Holly to make sure she knew I was thinking of her.  Then the night before the wedding, the night we did Christmas Eve in St. Anthony Ray and I went over to the house to see her and her family that were there.  I knew if I waited until the night of wedding when Holly came to the reception I would just break down.  The funeral was the 19th, the day before my birthday and I was so glad it wasn't on my birthday.  My birthday was a great day though, a little bittersweet.  I went to lunch with Allisa and Amanda at Gringos.  Then that night I was able to have dinner with Janice, Holly and Kathryn and I was so excited about that because we haven't been together on my birthday for so long, also bittersweet.  Kathryn was here for the reception and then ended up being here for the funeral too.  After we ate dinner we all went to my mom's house and stayed and talked for hours.


The that weekend Ray did a "surprise" birthday party and dinner for me at the house and had all these cute people there.  It was a good night and we had fun.  I guess it is just crazy that everyone is getting older, kids getting married, people dying.  Life is just really changing.

No comments: